May 18, 2011

Meet & Greet: Whimsyleaf

Robin Creates whimsical illustrations, hand-pulled prints, and hand painted trinkets. Her art is inspired by traditional fairy tales and folklore, childhood whimsy, Celtic symbolism, and, above all, the natural world

Glimpse of Glamour Original Watercolor Painting
I asked Robin a few questions about herself and her artwork and here is what she had to say:

Tell us a little about yourself and what you sell.

My name is Robin Harney. I’m an art student, illustrator, crafter, and folklore enthusiast living in Vermont. I sell a mix of art and upcycled decorative objects, mostly teacups and candle holders. My art reflects my whimsical, colorful aesthetic. I have a deep love of children’s book art, animated films, nature, and traditional folktales – all of which shine through in my work.

Upcycled Ocean Breams Vase
What is your favorite thing about creating?
Art gives me a way to bring the world of my imagination closer to the physical world around me. In my head, there is a magic land of talking trees and swirling purple skies, and it just wants to be real!

Mason Jar Vignette Original Etching
Why did you decide to work with upcycled/recycled/repurposed/vintage materials?
It all started because of my fascination with teacups. As an avid tea drinker and a fan of Alice in Wonderland, I’ve always had a fascination with brightly colored tea sets. One day, I decided to buy an assortment of simple white teacups from the thrift store and just paint directly on them with acrylics. After I finally perfected my technique (multiple layers each of primer, paint, and acrylic varnish), I discovered I’m not the only one who loves them. Of course, my painted ceramics aren’t food safe, so I use them as quirky candle holders. What I like most about repurposing objects is the feeling of saving them from doom, and giving them a new, colorful life. Upcycling fits well with my values (as well as my art student’s budget), in that I am committed to simple living, and I already re-use everything I can.

Candelabra Tree 3x45 Mini Print
What is your favorite thing about running your Etsy shop?

I love that it is a purposeful hobby, and it motivates me to continue creating even when I am feeling uninspired. Since starting on Etsy, I’ve also found countless other sellers who offer inspiration and tips.

What inspires you to create/sell what you do?
An undying desire to add more color to the world! Have you ever seen a brightly painted house and wanted to stick a “thank you” note in the mailbox for making the world a more joyful place? I suppose I just want to make people smile, get in touch with their silly, childlike wonderment, and dance in the woods.

The Children of Lir Original Etching Black ink
Find Whimsyleaf online:

Whimsyleaf Creations on Etsy!
whimsyleaf.etsy.com

My blog focuses mostly on my illustration and fine art projects. I update frequently with new paintings, printmaking, sketches, and occasional crafts:
whimsyleaf.blogspot.com

You can also find me on Facebook:
www.facebook.com/robinharneyart

Thanks Robin for sharing with us today!

See you next week,
Valerie
Everyday Inspired

2 comments:

  1. So lovely to 'meet' you, Robin! I enjoyed your comments about coloring the world we live in~ and I agree, I've often wanted to say 'hello and thanks' to people with charming gardens full of flowers!

    ReplyDelete